Utility Assistance

Financial assistance to help pay your utility bills.

BakerRipley’s Utility Assistance Program supports Neighbors in Harris, Brazoria and Galveston Counties with payment of their utility bills. We are able to provide this assistance thanks to funding from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.


How to qualify

To be eligible for Utility Assistance you must live in Harris, Brazoria or Galveston County and
meet the following requirements:

Household size                       Annual income

1                                                      $22,590

2                                                     $30,660

3                                                     $38,730

4                                                     $46,800

5                                                     $54,870

6                                                     $62,940

Proof of income from the last 30 days is needed for all household members aged eighteen (18) and over. This may include gross wages, Social Security Award Letter, Unemployment benefits, TANF, Food Stamp Award Letter, retirement, or VA Disability check.

Identity verification is required for all household members, regardless of age. Suitable documents include a driver’s license, passport, Matricular Consular, or school ID.

You will need to provide documents that verify eligibility to receive federal benefits for all household members, regardless of age. This could include a U.S. passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, or Permanent Resident card.

A copy of your current electric and gas bill is necessary for the application. If you are a Reliant customer, please provide your meter number.

Application Updates

Due to the volume of applications received, BakerRipley’s Utility Assistance program is still working on applications submitted in January 2024.


IMPORTANT: You can expect to receive an update on the status of your application approximately 12 weeks after your application has been submitted. Incomplete applications or missing required documentation will delay processing the application. 


You can now submit your application using ONE of the following methods:

  • To request an application by mail, please call the Utility Assistance Hotline at 713-590-2327 or United Way of Greater Houston Helpline at 2-1-1 or 713-957-4357
  • To download the Utility Assistance application, please click here for English or aquí para Español.
  • To apply online click on the button below

We use cookies. View our Privacy Policy for details.